“There is Only One Swallow” (ENA TO HELIDONI)
-a new English translation
There is only one swallow
so precious is the spring
to bring back the Sun
it takes a lot of work
it takes the dead, to be under
the wheels by the thousands
and it takes from the Living
their own blood to be giving
Snatched by (dark) magicians
is the (sacred) body of May
thrown into a deep well
it is closed; shut; far away
the Darkness has got a smell
and All the Abyss is stinking
[...to be continued...]
- Today I decided to do an English translation of the original song that led to “MIKIS TRANCE”, a trance remix which you can also hear if you click here:
- Not easy, in fact. Translating poetry can be very difficult, and it’s by nature imperfect.
- In order to do the best job (and the most authentic one, too) I decided to refrain completely from reading… other translations!
- E.g. there is another translation by Jeffry Carson (who translated the “Collected Works of Odysseus Elytis“), but I have NOT checked it out; NOT before my own translation of the entire poem is completed.
- If this translation turns out to be… very similar to Carson’s, then this means I am a… good translator (hehe); Carson being one of the best. If not, then it might be interesting to see WHY…
- Today only about 2/3 of the poem was done; however this was the most important part.
- Please remember I wasn’t… paid to do the translation! More may follow; but I also have to do OTHER kinds of work.
- Author nominate the books they would like to see back in print [via Zemanta]
- How I learned to love Greece again [ Guardian, Louis de Bernieres ]
- Foreword (The Greek Myths) [ Guardian, Jan. 12 2008, Neil MacGregor]