- Slav Macedonian idiots don’t recognize the existence of Greek Macedonians, while…
- Greek Macedonian idiots don’t recognize the existence of Slav/other Macedonians .
UPDATE: The «New York Times» have provably censored some civilised readers’ comments, including my own comment (which -however- was later approved by the moderators, after this post appeared), as follows:
Allright, allright, so you (the editorial board of NYT) disagree with the Greek decision. So what? Decisions like that take place all the time, in international relations. In this case, inexcusable ignorance of the true nature of the issue is the only thing worthy of being called shameful. If the issue was “shameful” then why is it that quite a lot of people and a lot of countries in Europe take it so very seriously? Personally, I believe Slavic Macedonians have as much a right to exist as Greek Macedonians. They can exist without convincing themselves that they are the direct descendants of ancient Macedonians, a Greek tribe according to most historians. Tragically, Greece is full of bigots, too. The evil DNA of the great destroyer of nations Alexander has not disappeared, most probably! 🙂 What has in fact disappeared is bigotry in attitudes towards neighboring nations. We are now ready to recognize them as equals, as ethnic (slavic) Macedonians, if you like. All we asked for was an adjective qualifier, as a minimal kind of recognition of the fact that there are Greek Macedonians as well, that they too have a right to feel as Macedonian as the Slavs. Is that shameful? Well, we can talk about it, and we intend to talk about it even more in coming months. The only shameful attitude, however, is yours; a respectable newspaper, moaning as if you are part of the dispute, as if you are ethnic slavic Macedonian yourselves, JUST because your president wants his policies to be _always_ implemented unquestionably.
Well, it’s time to eat some humble pie, Mr. Bush.
(end of comment)
BTW, Imbecile censorious moderators simply don’t realize that their shrewd policy of targetted selective moderation as a form of censorship CANNOT and will NOT succeed: A EUROPEAN «BLOG-CLONE» appeared, a few weeks ago, bypassing comment-censorship practised by a British Member of the European Parliament in his blog, as reported in my post «First anti-censorship Blog-Mirror of a British MEP«.
UPDATE 3: A Greek post in this blog (https://omadeon.wordpress.com/2007/10/24/sarom) had proposed -many weeks ago- a new official name for F.Y.R.O.M.:
Slavic Albanian Republic of Macedonia (SAROM) instead of FYROM
UPDATE 4: Here are some English-speaking blog-posts, apparently biased or misinformed:
- A rather interesting critique of Greece’ which I found amusing, while still disagreeing with it: Greece’s Foreign Minister: The US must change its name to ‘United States of Central North America’ (unfortunately with comments closed): As a joke, it’s nice, but it disregards many important facts about the Balkans; using a faulty humourous analogy (hint: –WHEN did the USA claim itself to be «the one and only America»?).
- No End to Tribalism? The Dispute Around the Copyright on “Macedonia” – a serious critique of the Greek position, where I wrote a decent comment (awaiting moderation): A clone of my comment is now in the comments’ section of this post: April 5, 2008 at 11:24 am
- other blog-posts (to be updated -perhaps)
UPDATE 5 (17-5-2010):
Related articles by Zemanta
- 4 killed on Macedonia-Kosovo border (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- 250 Alexander the Great era coins found in Syria (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Ancient Greek ‘Austerity’ (rogueclassicism.com)