UPDATE: For some reason, this post has become THE most popular post in this blog, in 2007 -2009! NEWS: Lesbos islanders lose lesbian ban court case (Daily Telegraph, 22/07/2008)
«Lesbos islanders lose lesbian ban court case. The residents appealed to a court in Athens to ban the word, claiming that as the island’s inhabitants, they were the only true Lesbians. An Athens court rejected an injunction application by Dimitris Lambrou…»
Well, narrow-mindedness in Greece can sometimes be so monstrous, that it can also be utterly self-defeating:
People all over the world are now laughing their heads off about the recent NEW international «Greek naming dispute«: All this preposterous global stirrup was generated by certain irrational hard-headed inhabitants of Lesbos island in Greece, demanding (legally as well) that… (female gay) Lesbians should be denied the right of using the word «Lesbian», since it’s alleged to be a «copyrighted» Greek word, belonging only to the inhabitants of Lesbos!
- Wow, maaan… AFTER THIS, nobody is likely to take seriously, any more, ANY other Greek «naming dispute» with anyone else (e.g. F.Y.R. Macedonia)!
- However, a compromise solution between FYROM and Greece, based on a composite name for F.Y.R.Macedonia is actually a very reasonable idea, as I explained in other blog-posts: There are serious drawbacks in an unqualified name «Macedonia», for a small country which is only a small part of GEOGRAPHIC Macedonia. O.T.O.H. a compromise solution is NOT liked by fanatic Greeks and fanatic Slav Macedonians, alike.
However, a SIMPLE SOLUTION to the «problem» of these hard-headed inhabitants of Lesbos has probably eluded everybody:
ALL we have to do, as a country wishing to avoid… bad impressions every time the name «Lesbian» is confused with the local geographic identical term, is to RENAME the Greek island «LesVos» (with a V), also demanding that everyone else in the world uses the terms «LesVians» and «LesVos» instead of «Lesbians» and «Lesbos».
SO SIMPLE, but SO DIFFICULT TO SEE, isn’t it?
Lesvos, not Lesbos. Lesvians, not Lesbians!
NOTE: Not many people are aware of the fact that the Greek island of Lesbos has also enjoyed immense benefits in TOURISM, due to the historical connection between Lesbians and the world’s «first famous Lesbian», Sappho! In fact, every summer in Lesbos, an annual General Meeting of International Lesbian (gay) women is being held.
- As a result, «Women-only» tourist events in Lesbos have been quite common:
Image by BR0WSER via Flickr
Α PERSONAL STORY: Many years ago, while on holiday in Mytilene (another name for Lesbos) I met a wonderful sensual woman from Austria, who turned out to be exclusively Lesbian, in fact -much to my dissapointment! However, we got to know each other rather well, afterwards, remaining «just friends».
We ended up dancing non-stop every night, while during daytime I would sit on the back seat of her heavy-duty motorbike, and we would then both go to Petra Beach and other areas of Lesbos, densely populated by female tourists, in order to… make passes (traditional «KAMAKI») at women!
Image by RuiPereira via Flickr
Oh yes! Her name was Gabrielle Shechang, although I’m not sure about her surname’s spelling. She said she is a writer and a cartoonist, as well as a Lesbian top-activist.
- I state this officially, since I AM LOOKING FOR HER, all these years…
- Google searches I made, and other kinds of search, NEVER produced any results, although Gabrielle must be very well known in Austria, in Gay and Lesbian political circles.
We forgot to exchange addresses, except on the very last day, when I lost her in the harbour: She got on the boat, and our AGREEMENT that she would publish (in her Austrian Lesbians’ magazine) some articles I had written, was consequently not kept.
- However, Ms. Gabrielle Shetshang told me that I was probably one of the very very few Greek heterosexual non-sexist men, whose views her Lesbian magazine would GLADLY publish, since my ideas were perfectly compatible with their viewpoints! So:
Dear Ms. GABRIELLE SHETCHANG,
This is GEORGE ! We met in Lesbos, in the late eighties.
WHERE ARE YOU? Hi !
The reason she and I became friends very soon was (apart from my «heterosexual non-sexism») the fact that I exclaimed to her, as soon as she told me she «preferred women»:
If you’re Lesbian it’s GREAT! You and I have something IN COMMON:
We BOTH prefer women! 🙂
- Islanders want legal right to be ‘true lesbians’ [via Zemanta]
- Lesbians turn on lesbians in battle of Lesbos [via Zemanta]
- Lesbos islanders battle for Lesbian name [via Zemanta]
- Leader: In praise of … lesbians [via Zemanta]
- Lesbians Suing Lesbians [via Zemanta]
- Lesbos loses lesbian case
- Lesbos islanders lose lesbian ban court case
- Lesbians turn on lesbians in battle of Lesbos
- Leader: In praise of … lesbians
- Score One For The Gayelles!
- It’s All Greek to Me: Lesbian (quazen.com)
- It’s a lovely isle in teh Aegean call Lesbos….. (tagg-lines.com)
- Lesbians flock to Greek island of Lesbos for festival (telegraph.co.uk)
- Lesbian Travel and Festival at Eressos on Greece’s Lesbos island (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Lesbos’ International Women’s Festival celebrates tenth anniversary (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Lesbos climax as lesbians lick Lesbians
- Lesbos locals lose attempt to ban use of the term «lesbian»