UPDATE (6-11-09): After U.S. Congress rejected the Goldstone Report on 3-11-2009, boycotting Israel has become imperative. Here is how: Identify a product’s bar code (Israel’s prefix is 729):
More information: http://bdsmovement.net (Global BDS Movement)
…and also here: http://www.mylinkspage.com/israel.html
(The rest of this post was written on 13-01-2009, after the Gaza massacre).
More Recent Links (Nov.2009):
- European BDS organizations campaigning to» Give Israel the Red Card» | Global BDS Movement
- Answering critics of the boycott movement | Global BDS Movement
- Sussex Students Boycott Israeli Goods | Global BDS Movement
- Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions
My links about Israel and Human Rights are in:
This blog is explicitly against antisemitism, as well as against all kinds of racism. In previous posts (e.g. Jean-Pierre Vernant and Pierre Vidal-Naquet…) antisemitism was strongly condemned, both in Greece and elsewhere. However, this does not imply tolerance for Israel’s Apartheid policies and War Crimes!
Israeli nationalists have mocked the «Boycott Israel» campaign, claiming arrogantly that… nearly everything is either Israeli or Jewish, at least partly, so that boycotting Israel will fail (e.g. in the video here). However, this is bulshit!
I have been fighting, sometimes fiercely, against antisemitism in my own country (Greece). I have said many times that Greek people who are also Jewish (as well as Jewish people in general) should never face discrimination. Moreover, their freedom from discrimination should never require the «prerequisite of opposition to Israel» – as typically done in Greece. I never defended antisemitism; I never denied that antisemitism also exists in Greece. However….
In the light of Israel’s new atrocities in Gaza, I feel obliged to condemn Israel, in the same way as peace-loving humanist Jews and Israelis also do!
Antisemitic propaganda can be disguised as «anti-racist» or «anti-zionist» very easily; Antisemitism deliberately confuses opposition to Israel’s racist policies with antisemitism (as does Israel’s propaganda – for opposite reasons, naturally).
More information about the «Boycott Israel» campaign is HERE.
Here are some more Jewish & Israeli sites opposing Israel’s policies:
- BTselem, the The Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories. Highly informative & professional site.
- The Israeli Council for Israeli-Palestinian Peace, publishers of «The Other Israel» newsletter.
- Gader or «Citizens of Israel against the fence» is a coalition of organisations, movements and individuals who call for the immediate cessation of the construction of the separation fence. Masses of info & pics, petition, campaigns…
- Middle Way is a campaign for peace and justice for all the peoples of the Holy Land. With a strong spiritual emphasis, Middle Way is organising a series of peace walks.
PCATI is the Public Committee Against Torture in Israel. The use of torture, under the pseudonym of «moderate physical pressure», is widespread among Israel’s security forces.
- The Peace Now campaign, founded in 1978 by 348 members of the Israel Defense Force, is the only mass peace movement in Israel, attracting hundreds of thousands to its mass rallies and activities.
- Visions of Peace with Justice is a Boston-based alliance of Jews working to promote a lasting peace between Israelis and Palestinians based on mutual respect, justice, and equality.
- Machsom Watch or Checkpoint-watch is a voluntary group of over 400 Israeli women who conduct daily shifts at military and police checkpoints around Jerusalem and elsewhere, to bear witness to what is being done to Palestinian civilians in the name of Israeli society. We have chosen to stand by the checkpoints as they are one of the clearest manifestations of the Israeli Occupation and their very existence in the middle of Palestinian cities and villages is a violation of human rights.
ACRI, the Association for Civil Rights in Israel.
- The Jewish Peace Fellowship, one of the few American Jewish organisations speaking out against the violence in Palestine.
- Physicians for Human Rights-Israel is was founded in 1988, comprising some 650 members who combat Israeli health and human rights violations, and strive to ensure equal and adequate health services for all.
The AI pages on Israel’s Conscientious Objectors.
- Refuz is a campaign site dedicated to the 5 refusniks sentenced to a further year in jail on 4 Jan 2004.
- Oznik is mainly about the Israeli refusniks, also has personal stories and other info.
Yesh Gvul («There is a limit !») is an Israeli peace group supports soldiers who refuse repressive or aggressive assignments, such as the brutal subjugation of the Palestinian population.
Sign the Petition to: Protest the unfair treatment of IDF refusniks; Call for an end to repeat jail sentences on identical charges; Demand the immediate release of all jailed resisters; Urge the authorities to make adequate provisions for inductees who refuse to enlist on grounds of principle.
- The Courage to Refuse site – by refusniks, for refusniks.
This Support Imprisoned ‘Refusniks’ page allows you to send messages of support to those who have been imprisoned in Israel for refusing to serve in the Israeli armed forces.
Previous related post in this blog: BOYCOTT ISRAELI GOODS ! “Israel is deliberately killing civilians and obstructing Humanitarian Aid in Gaza”…
GREEK READERS: Spreading information about Israel’s BARCODE to other blogs (e.g. here). and also here. Also recommended Greek articles:
«Ο θάνατος οποιουδήποτε παιδιού ισοδυναμεί με τον θάνατο του κόσμου όλου» (Ισραηλινοί κατά του πολέμου και της κατοχής – «Ελευθεροτυπία», 2006)
Τα νέα φονικά όπλα των Ισραηλινών (του blogger εξαποδω)
- Ελευθεροτυπία – Μποϊκοτάζ στα ισραηλινά προϊόντα κήρυξε το Ινστιτούτο Καταναλωτών για όσο διαρκεί η επίθεση στη Γάζα (αλλά ελάχιστα κυκλοφορούν στην Ελλάδα. Ισραηλινές επενδύσεις πάντως υπάρχουν, π.χ. το… Καζίνο Λουτρακίου!)
Related articles by Zemanta
- Israel accused of delaying medical access to injured
- Israel criticised after ‘shocking’ discovery of exhausted children
- Israel accused over Gaza wounded
- Red Cross demands access to Gaza
- Red Cross demands Gaza access, cites ‘shocking’ discoveries
- Israel rebuffs UN resolution, pushes ahead militarily
- Richard Falk: My expulsion from Israel
- World Briefing | United Nations: Assembly Endorses Report on Gaza (nytimes.com)
- So. Was Suppressing Goldstone Worth It? (attackerman.firedoglake.com)
- U.N. debates Gaza war investigations (cnn.com)