Trance Remix of «Ενα το Χελιδόνι», a Mikis Theodorakis‘ song («There is only one, single swallow» in English). This is my most recent, 11th remix of this particular song, done in February 2012. My first «Mikis Trance» remix of this song was approved and praised by Mikis Theodorakis (in person) back in 2006; even though it was much more primitive, from a music point of view.
- This new video presentation includes… semi-virtual dancing and other interesting… trickster-graphics.
- Ελληνικά: Περιληπτική κάλυψη κοντά στο τέλος αυτής της ανάρτησης (scroll down and… put the KOT down)
I do not expect these trance remixes to become popular in Greece, since they constitute «musical heresy«, here. This is also why I wrote this post in English, first (and ‘m not even sure if I’ll even bother to re-write it fully, in Greek). Nevertheless, Mikis Theodorakis genuinely liked this remix, while a lot of people in other countries like (and dance to) trance music; (many more elsewhere, than in Greece). As a result: -Consider this post to be a… malicious (or whatever) attempt to… export a Greek Cultural Product! And be-aware of Greeks with gifts (in remixing). 🙂
In any case, my conscience is clean and my (sense of) «mission» is almost complete[*]:
I have demonstrated practically (and visually, through this video’s dance show) that the music of Mikis Theodorakis can become authentic trance music, well-suited for MAINSTREAM dancing and clubbing; not just for official festivities (making most people yawn) or rallies and parades (after which the music goes back to the fringe, or the…fridge).
As I had said, to Mikis Theodorakis (joking face-to-face) back in 2006 «We won’t get da youngsters outta da Club into Mikis-music, we’ll put Mikis-music into da Club»!
[*] «mission almost complete»: –All that remains is improvement and refinement (which never stops in remixing) as well as… promotion (which is beyond my restricted personal means).
Mikis Theodorakis was quite fond of the music ideas in these remixes, i.e. their «melodic and harmonic innovations»; not to mention the rhythm, which is badly needed for any song aspiring to become a dance-hit. Unexpectedly, Mikis was also very tolerant of my occasional music mistakes, since (in his own words, at the time) «mistakes can always be corrected«. He also liked (ad listened carefully to) many other remixes of his songs, that I presented to him, at the time (2006 – 2007). He disagreed with his own secretary, as well as with some of his close friends, when he stated repeatedly that he genuinely liked my remixes. My reaction to his support was also (apart from gratitude) a growing sense of concern about the dogmatic «music opposition»:
Some people feel such fanatical, quasi-religious devotion, to the music of Mikis Theodorakis, that they will never accept any other variation in style, than his own. For such people, I am (as a remixer)a kind of… evil demon, by definition. So, I asked Mikis Theodorakis if he could sign one of his e-mails, in printed form, turning the e-mail into a (much more formal and tangible) «letter of recommendation». He didn’t hesitate to agree and sign it. immediately! A scanned picture of this letter is included, at 6:37 in this video [click here] after the music stops.
The main reason I explain all this in detail, is because certain… extreme fans of Theodorakis’ music have sometimes expressed disgust (!) against my… music sacrileges, even though Mikis himself disagrees strongly with them and likes the remixes.
Ah well, people who turned Mikis into a… religion, flocking together as blind music fans, need to discover that he does not like the job of… religious leader (being an agnostic, as he is, also helps -hehe).
Lyrics and Voices:
The late Odysseus Elytis wrote the Lyrics, which are a… headache for English translators. My own… attempt to translate them is here. Human voices used (occasionally) in this remix, include (the late) Grigoris Bithikotsis. However, I only used a restricted subset of the song’s original lyrics, since my main goal and motivation in these remixes, is for people to get up and dance, not just sing! 🙂 (My own English translations of these restricted lyrics are included as video-subtitles).
CHARTS and PUBLICITY
This particular remix scored highly in the internet’s amateur music Top 50 Charts (which made me write some.. boastful,pompous little posts, at the time -hehe- e.g. THIS one HERE). However, it was ignored totally by all the mainstream media: TV, radio, music journals, official music charts, etc. Now… I will not discuss why it was ignored, since there are many valid reasons for this, at the sime time. One reason (but not the most important one, I.M.H.O.) is that these particular remixes needed improvements, e.g. in sound quality or mastering, or even in their constituent music elements: instruments, sound-textures, etc. However, songs are usually promoted in a way that might make you feel like an intruder in a sausage-factory, at the exact same moment when the sausages are being manufactured. And I don’t mean the music; -The promotion is the «sausage» (as well as the «industry’s goal», whatever the song…)
Disclaimer 1: I am NOT a follower, or a member, of ANY political party or movement started by Mikis Theodorakis. My only relationship with him is his music (and my remixes of it). Moreover, I don’t belong to any specific political party, although I consider myself a supporter of the radical and anti-authoritarian Left (whatever this means… -hehe)
Disclaimer 2: In this blog, I have often praised the music genius of Mikis Theodorakis. I have also written about his innovative philosophical ideas. which very few people know: In fact, most people probably don’t even realize that Mikis is a self-proclaimed agnostic! However. I have neither agreed with his slanderers and extreme critics, nor agreed with… his own political mistakes. This has been a difficult attitude on my part; even painful at times. So, please do NOT discuss the politics of Mikis Theodorakis, in this post. Let’s only talk about his great music (and/or my remixes of it). Thank you…
- Anyone who had (like me) the good fortune of meeting Mikis Theodorakis in person, chatting with him face-to-face, knows his tolerance, his appreciation for anything musically innovative, as well as his open-minded attitude in musical issues. This open-mindedness, of Mikis Theodorakis in face-to-face discussion, also extends into politics, religion and philosophy, to a significant extent! Unfortunately, he often comes across… very different, through his media-statements, but this is another… long story.
Other Relevant Posts:
- All previous posts about Odysseas Elytis are HERE.
- ODYSSEAS ELYTIS, “There Is Only One Swallow” (A New English Translation) 18/06/2007
- All previous posts about Mikis Theodorakis (and my trance remixes of his music) are HERE.
- Mikis Theodorakis Song “Blood Of Love” (A Mellow Trance / House Creative Remix – Uploaded Today) 28/01/2008
- Greek poetry by Odysseus Elytis: Some serious translation problems, and their solutions 23/06/2007
in GREEK / ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΑ
Η πρώτη έκδοση αυτού του remix (το 2006) άρεσε στον ίδιο τον Μίκη Θεοδωράκη, όπως και άλλα παρόμοια remix, για τα οποία ο ίδιος έγραψε και Συστατική Επιστολή (Που Παρατίθεται ΕΔΩ), καθώς και στο τέλος του video, μετά τη μουσική. Η σημερινή έκδοση (2012) έχει πολλές βελτιώσεις.
Προηγούμενες αναρτήσεις με παρόμοια θέματα:
- ‘Της Δικαιοσύνης Ηλιε Νοητέ’ (New Trance Remix Of A Mikis Theodorakis Song) 29/02/2012
- Mikis Theodorakis Trance Remix: ‘Θα Σημάνουν Οι Καμπάνες’ 16/06/2010
- Mikis Theodorakis Song “Blood Of Love” (A Mellow Trance / House Creative Remix) 28/01/2008
- “Mikis Theodorakis Tribute” -New Music Uploaded 28/01/2008
- Το Πολιτιστικό Σαμποτάζ Που Έκλεισε Την “Ορχήστρα Μίκης Θεοδωράκης” (Και Άλλα Τινα) 27/01/2008
- Mikis (Theodorakis) Trance Becomes Number 25 In The International Top 100 Chart Of Soundclick.Com 19/01/2008
- Πρόταση Στην Ορχήστρα Μίκη Θεοδωράκη (Ενώ Το Mikis Trance Έγινε 22 Σε Top 100 Music Chart) 24/01/2008
- Mikis Trance Is STILL No. 1 In The Greek Top 100 Trance Music Charts Of “Soundclick Music”! 16/01/2008
- Το Φεστιβάλ Ματαιώθηκε. Όμως Έγινε Πάρτυ, Όπου Τα Trance Remixes Του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη Θριάμβευσαν! 15/08/2007
- MIKIS TRANCE Becomes No. 1 In The Greek Top 10 Trance Music Chart 17/06/2007
- Mikis Theodorakis “Ena To Helidoni” YouTube Music Clip (1977) And Mikis Trance Remixes (2007) 14/06/2007
- Andromeda (Trance Remix Of Mikis Theodorakis And Thanos Papakostantinou) – Repost 2008 04/06/2007
- Διασκευές TRANCE Του Μίκη Θεοδωράκη – Το Θεωρητικό Υπόβαθρο 23/03/2007
Ολες οι αναρτήσεις (μέχρι σήμερα) με θέμα τον Οδυσσέα Ελύτη είναι ΕΔΩ
- 100 Χρόνια Από Τη Γέννηση Του Ελύτη, “Συν Τοις Αλλοις” + CATASTROIKA 02/11/2011
- Η Κατασκευαστική Φιλοσοφία Του Οδυσσέα Ελύτη Και Η…. Παράνοια Του Δηθεν-Ικού Αντι-Εθνομηδενισμού 23/06/2008
- ΟΔΥΣΣΕΑΣ ΕΛΥΤΗΣ (Από Τον “Μικρό Ναυτίλο”): – “Και Με Φως Και Με Θάνατο”, Ένα Ποίημα-Χρησμός! (Deciphering A Cryptic Poem By ODYSSEUS ELYTIS) 29/11/2007
- Δημιουργική Κριτική Του Βιβλίου “Η Nεκροφιλία Του Ριζοσπαστικού Πατριωτισμού” 27/03/2007
- “Η Αθεράπευτη Νεκροφιλία Του Ριζοσπαστικού Πατριωτισμού”: Παρανοήσεις Και Διαμάντια 23/03/2007
- The videos of Greece you won’t see (mysatelite.wordpress.com)
- Charles Lloyd / Maria Farantouri: Athens Concert (Review) (popmatters.com)
- Αγάπη μου Ελλάδα μου – My love, my Greece (alifeonaplate.com)
- ANDY: Z (Gavras, Algeria/France, 1969) (dirkmalcolm.wordpress.com)
- Athens Burning As Police Runs Out Of Tear Gas (zerohedge.com)
- Greece: A People’s Democracy or a Bankster’s paradise? (panokroko.wordpress.com)
- Letters: Solidarity campaign to support the people of Greece (guardian.co.uk)
- Reflection Week #5 (atec3326s12.wordpress.com)
- The Plunder of a People.. (radicalglasgowblog.blogspot.com)