WARNING: This is an OLD Blog Page. Created in 2009; last update in 2016. Some links are probably broken.
(Άμεση) Δημοκρατία – Επιπλέον Σύνδεσμοι με προτάσεις, υπαρκτά παραδείγματα και online εργαλεία συζήτησης και άμεσης ψηφοφορίας
[Αναδημοσίευση από https://pantelicgr.wordpress.com/links/]
Χρήσιμοι Σύνδεσμοι (Useful Links):
- Δημοψηφίσματα Με Πρωτοβουλία Πολιτών – Η πρόταση:
- CommonsFest – Ένα φεστιβάλ για τα Κοινά Αγαθά:
- Κοινωνική και Αλληλέγγυα Οικονομία με (Άμεση) Δημοκρατία:
- Πρόταση εφαρμογής της (Άμεσης) Δημοκρατίας από «Συμμαχία Αμεσοδημοκρατών»:
- Πρόταση του Καραβανιού Αγώνα & Αλληλεγγύης για συζήτηση μέσα στο εργατικό και κοινωνικό κίνημα:
- Πολιτεία 2.0 – Πλατφόρμα Πολιτικής Καινοτομίας:
Online εργαλεία συζήτησης & άμεσης ψηφοφορίας (Online tools of debate & direct voting):
- Μια Εφαρμογή της “Άμεσης Συμβουλευτικής Δημοκρατίας – Περικλής”:
- Κοινωνικό Δίκτυο Κοινωνίας Πολιτών και καταγραφής κοινωνικών προβλημάτων:
(cooperates with – συνεργάζεται με: http://www.interaktive-demokratie.org/ )
Web Content Mining, Screen Scraping (free and open source ):
- Bixo, an open source web mining toolkit that runs as a series of Cascading pipes on top of Hadoop.
- DEiXTo, a powerful tool for creating «extraction rules» (wrappers) that describe what pieces of data to scrape from a web page; consists of GUI and a stand-alone extraction rule executor.
- GNU Wget, command line tool for retrieving files using HTTP, HTTPS and FTP.
- Pattern, a web mining module for Python; bundles tools for data retrieval (Google + Twitter + Wikipedia API, web spider), text analysis (rule-based shallow parser, WordNet interface, tf-idf, …) and data visualization (graph networks).
- ScraperWiki, a collaborative platform for web-scraping and screen-scraping code and views.
- Scrapy, a fast high-level screen scraping and web crawling framework in Python.
- Trapit, system for personalizing content based on keywords, URLs and reading habits.
- Web Mining Services, provides free, customized web extracts to meet your needs.
- WebSundew, a powerful web scraping and web data extraction tool that extracts data from the web pages with high productivity and speed.
UPDATE (16/1/2014): See also my new wiki-blog pages:
- Freeware Tools: http://multiforms.tiddlyspace.com/#[[Freeware%20Tools]]
- Timidity (free soft-synth): http://multiforms.tiddlyspace.com/#Timidity
- FreeDOS (operating system): http://multiforms.tiddlyspace.com/#FreeDOS
- AutoCAD to SVG and 3D: http://multiforms.tiddlyspace.com/#[[AutoCAD%20to%20SVG%20and%203D]]
- BartPE: http://multiforms.tiddlyspace.com/#BartPE
This is a permanent blog-page with free tools, tips and resources, under construction. It was made public (a bit prematurely) only because it is useful. Here is what it contains (as local links):
- Best Internet Browser(s)
- Best (firefox/palemoon) Plugins
- Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
- Free Audio-Processing Tools
- Free Graphics-Editing Tools
- Free Video-Processing Tools
- Free Off-line Browsing Tools
- Windows Notepad Replacements
- Free Compilers and Development Tools
- Free Semantic Web and NLP [*] Tools
- Free Anonymity Resources
[*] NLP = «Natural Language Processing» (not… neurolingistic)!
See also my previous post (of 2008) and the following delicious link-bundles:
- Other blog-members are welcome to modify this page, adding their own resources [and the same holds for any permanent page in this collaborationist blog…], etc.
- One exception: Please don’t post any links to (so-called) «pirated software». Our blog is far too political to take the risk of offering reasons (or pretexts) for shutting it down, etc. Moreover, this page is really about free tools! We might discuss commercial tools another time.
- Readers’ comments are welcome here, as regards tools (or upgrades).
- This page is only in English, at the moment (Most tools listed here require a knowledge of English, anyway)
- I tried and tested everything listed in this page! I also use most of it, quite regularly.
Best Internet Browser(s)
Pale Moon is NOT widely known, but I found no other free browser (for Windows) which is better, safer and faster (all at the same time) and I did try all (or most of) the others: Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, Google Chrome, Seamonkey, etc. (OK, I havent’ tried Opera 11! If it’s worth it, this page will be updated!…)
Most types of Pale Moon downloads are here (otherwise use the home-page’s download options). Pale Moon is 100% compatible with (but better than) Firefox! Firefox-compatibility is all-important, because of firefox’s numerous and precious plug-ins, some of which I couldn’t do without! In Google Chrome‘s case (not a bad browser, BTW – I also use it, from time to time) you have to look for Chrome-versions of plugins. In Pale Moon, you simply… install the original plugin, instead! Firefox compatibility is (almost) guaranteed, since Pale Moon uses the same (open) source as Firefox, i.e. it’s an improved, highly optimal re-compilation of Firefox! Certain programmers became critical of Firefox’s shortcomings, so they started the Pale Moon project, to improve the code, while remaining independent of Firefox’s creators (Mozilla.org).
Drawbacks of Pale Moon:
- Not suitable for the Mac !
- Firefox-4-Clone not available, yet
Note: «Pale Moon» (An Indian Love Song) is a popular song composed by Frederic Knight Logan with lyrics by Jesse G. M. Glick. The song was written in 1920.–
Finally, two other browsers are good for auxilliary or standby use: Google Chrome and Seamonkey, while keeping Pale Moon as the main browser.
Best (firefox/palemoon) Plugins
- BarTab: If your concern is speed, this is the best! It «freezes» the browser’s unused tabs (pages), saving huge amounts of memory and speed, as well as reducing the risk of crashes. The tab-pages don’t disappear: You can still access them, by clicking on (any one of) them; it only takes a very small (usually negligible) amount of time to re-access a tab, depending on how often you access it…
- Session Manager: Indispensable for heavy browsing; saves and restores entire browsing sessions.
- Tab Kit: – Superb! One of those rare things that make me wonder «how could we live without this?» (-Why? try it out, to find out; using «tree-mode»…)
- Password-Exporter: The perfect cure for Loss of… human memory (alas, only as regards passwords and user-names).
- Febe Backup: Indispensable e.g. for switching-over to Pale Moon; or turning your laptop’s browser into a true clone of your desktop’s…
- BBComposer: A toolbar / plugin that allows you to publish in WYSIWYG the contents of a textarea field, as in a word processing software. It was used to create this page. However, it does much, much more… (including Semantic annotations in text).Not recommended for newbies, it’s very powerful tool if you know what you are doing, wishing to improve your own blog-posts!
- DownThemAll!: THE perfect tool for insatiable info-gluttons with huge hard disks. I repeat, «hard disks»! Not «hard dicks», dear speed-(mis)reading smart-ass! 🙂
- Video DownloadHelper: The 2nd best tool for insatiable info-gluttons, or obsessive-compulsives who… crave to save every single video, ever watched on-line! 😛
- Zemanta (for bloggers): I really shouldn’t give away such Big Trade-Secrets… 🙂 [too late to hide; WordPress also promotes it…]
- www.zotero.com – Likewise!(as for Zemanta)…
Free Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware
There are very good free anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall programs, out there. The ones I tried and recommend are:
- Avast! Free Antivirus
- ClamWin Free AntiVirus for Windows (good but… not recommended for beginners, since it only creates reports of infected files and then you have to delete them manually).
- GhostWall FireWall
- Comodo Firewall Protection and Anti-Virus Scan Software
- HandyBits VirusScan Integrator 5.5 (Free of charge for personal use) is a free program that lets you combine and manage several anti-virus programs together; very important if it works well (but I’ve only just started using it). Also testing: GMER – Rootkit Detector and Remover
- See my collection of antivirus links in delicious.com
- See also my collection of delicious links tagged «antivirus+free» (at the same time).
- To explore everyone‘s links, try: http://www.delicious.com/tag/antivirus+free (bearing in mind that most of these links lead to commercial programs, or… other lists of links, etc.).
Free Audio-Processing Tools
Audacity: A very robust and reliable freeware Audio Editor, very good for recordings and creating podcasts.
Free Graphics Editors
GIMP: www.gimp.org, downloads: www.gimp.org/downloads (Windows), or else: Linux / UNIX; Apple Mac OS X. Documentation here.
Free Video-processing Software
The most important video tool of all time (and we should start download it straight-away, if we haven’t) is the miraculous K-Lite Codec Pack FULL [inside the list here] It eliminates the most annoying video-codec problems. Install the full version, not the «lite» one. Check it out again, since there are frequent updates.
CamStudio – Free Screen Recording Software is good and I have often used it, even though its functions are a bit limited
There are generally positive opinions about Lightworks, e.g. «a free, open-source video editor… putting together professional-level work» – said the reviewer here: «Lightworks Is a Speedy, Professional-Level (and Free) Open-Source Video Editor». So, I downloaded it and… forgot all about it(!) since I don’t really need it now, as a registered user of «Cyberlink Power Director 9»! My advice, if you make videos (e.g. for YouTube) is try everything (legally or illegally) before you buy it. And if you don’t have to buy it, then… don’t! 😉 CyberLink P.D. is worthwhile, though: Pirated copies range from flawed to completely useless and registered users enjoy too many privileges.
Finally, check out my list of links:http://www.delicious.com/omadeon/free+software+video …or the global list, here: http://www.delicious.com/tag/free+software+video
Free Off-line Browsing Tools
HTTrack (Open Source offline browser)
- site: http://www.httrack.com
- downloads: http://www.httrack.com/page/2/en/index.html
- documentation: http://www.httrack.com/html/index.html
- O/S: LINUX/Unix, Windows 95/98/NT/2K/XP, MACos/OSX
Free Notepad Replacements
(better than Windows Notepad )
- site: http://www.flos-freeware.ch
- downloads: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html
- documentation: http://www.flos-freeware.ch/doc/notepad2-FAQs.html
- site: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net
- downloads: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/download.php
- documentation: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/about.php
Other Notepad replacements: Top 5 Free Notepad replacements
Also check out: 30 Alternatives To Adobe Acrobat !
Free Compilers and Programming Tools
I [Omadeon] use Prolog and Assembly, mostly; A list of other programming languages is here. As regards Prolog, here are some Free Prolog compilers. As regards Assembly, some Free Assemblers are listed here. Probably the best free Prolog compiler is SWI-Prolog :
- Site: http://www.swi-prolog.org
- Downloads: http://www.swi-prolog.org/dl-stable.html
- O/S: LINUX, Windows XP (32/64 bits/Vista), MACos
- documentation: http://www.swi-prolog.org/dl-doc.html
- Also relevant: SWI-Prolog-Editor
- Omadeon links: http://delicious.com/omadeon/SWI-Prolog
A very important Higher-Level Dialect (and SuperSet) of Prolog, dedicated for developing Constraint-Solving Programs (CLP) is «ECLiPSe» (not to be confused with IBM’s «Eclipse» software environment):
Important tip: Always Download ECLiPSe from ECLiPSe’s Home-page; that’s where the most recent version first appears!
Semantic Web and NLP[*] Free Software
[*] NLP = Natural Language Processing
- Main site: http://protege.stanford.edu/
- Downloads: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/download.html
- Download requires (free) registration
- Operating System: ALL! (thanks to Java)
- Documentation: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html
- Omadeon links: http://delicious.com/omadeon/protege
GATE (Natural Language Toolbox):
- Main site: http://gate.ac.uk
- Downloads: http://gate.ac.uk/download/index.html
- Documentation: http://gate.ac.uk/documentation.html
- O/S: LINUX/Unix, Windows XP, MACos/OSX
Other Semantic Web Tools:
Anonymity Tools and Resources
GOOGLE ANON -a search-facility that still lets you use Gmail, etc. without your search-traffic monitored by Big Brotherly Google
- www.torproject.org – VERY important, standard tool, to safeguard one’s anonymity.
The Freenet Project – /download
- Check out my list: http://www.delicious.com/omadeon/anonymous
- I Can No Longer Add to My Google Calendar Using Keywords or IRL’s «+GoogleCal» Links (ask.metafilter.com)
- Protect your privacy: Web browsing (macworld.com)
- Protect Your Privacy: Browse the Web Safely (pcworld.com)
- Analyzing web application performance (elie.im)
- Getting Quality Backlinks to Your Blog (wpblogmaster.com)
- Google Page Speed Now Available as Chrome Plugin (readwriteweb.com)
- 5 Ways to Surf Faster (geeksinabox.wordpress.com)
- Firefox 4 Release Date Is Tomorrow But You Can Download it Now (mwd.com)
- Download PALEMOON, free yet powerful and fast web browser. (hamropathshala.wordpress.com)
- Faster, Sleeker & More Stable: Hands-on With Firefox 4 [REVIEW] (mashable.com)
- 8 Things You Want To Know About Firefox 4 (madrasgeek.com)
- With Arrival of IE9 and Firefox 4, HTML5 Support Becomes Ubiquitous (techpluto.com)
- Most Popular Firefox Extensions and Posts of 2010 [Video] (lifehacker.com)
- Firefox 4 Official Release – Was It Worth The Wait? (webpronews.com)
- Most Popular Free Windows Downloads of 2010 (gizmodo.com)
- Firefox 4 doubles Internet Explorer 9 downloads in first 24 hours (telegraph.co.uk
[…] Ομαδεον ή Omadeon […]
Αντιγράφω εδώ το σχόλιό μου στο blog «Art n Soft» (του προηγούμενου pingback):